Do you appreciate good quality sound without noise and interference? Do you use CB radio and want to get the perfect sound from it?
The best CB external speaker can make your dreams come true.
I am sure that you are familiar with the frustration of CB radio speakers. Most speakers work poorly, produce poor sound and have constant noise, which becomes the background and is heard continuously.
I eventually got tired of this problem and I decided to purchase a CB external speaker for my CB radio. How do you choose a CB external speaker without stress on your nerves or wallet? This CB radio external speaker review will tell you the secrets.
Cobra HG S500 CB Speaker
RoadPro RPSP-15 CB Speaker
Astatic 302-VS4 Cb Speaker
- Best CB External Speaker – Reviews
- 1. Cobra HG S500 Highgear CB Speaker
- 2. RoadPro RPSP-15 Universal CB Extension Speaker
- 3. Astatic 302-VS4 5W/8Ω Noise Cancelling External CB Speaker
- 4. Uniden (BC23A) Bearcat 15-Watt Amplified External Communications Speaker
- 5. Midland 21-406 Deluxe CB / Amateur / Marine Extension Speaker
- 6. VECTORCOM TRD550 Rectangular 3.5mm plug 5W external CB speaker
- 7. TOPMYS TM-ES608 Mini CB Radio Speaker
- 8. ZAXIDALER Rectangular External Communications Speaker for CB Radio
- 9. Pro Trucker 4″ Heavy Duty External CB Radio Speaker
- 10. RoadPro RP-108C 2-3/4″ CB Extension Speaker with Swivel Bracket
- Buying Guide Of Best External CB Speaker
- FAQ’s on CB External Speaker
- Wrapping up
Best CB External Speaker – Reviews
There are many available options on the market. We have selected the top 10 speakers for you.
1. Cobra HG S500 Highgear CB Speaker
The best external speaker for CB radio is the Cobra HG S500. This CB external speaker has an incredible power of 15 watts that not every radio amplifier can “squeeze”. If your CB radio has a higher power output, using this external speaker will easily copy.
This external speaker has excellent noise filter stuffing, a talkback feature and has solid construction.
This speaker is not only very powerful but also quite compact – only four inches in size. You can place it anywhere in your car and enjoy the deep sound. In addition, the speaker bracket revolves and you can rotate it 180 degrees to direct the sound.
HG S500 is good for any car. This speaker handles its task perfectly and produces high quality sound.
- It is created for CB radio.
- The maximum output power of this CB external speaker is 15 watts.
- The external speaker has a noise canceling function, which helps to clear the received signal from background noise.
- Cobra HG S500 has a variable talkback control (adjustable).
- The speaker is four inches in size.
- Swivel bracket with a range of 180 degrees.
2. RoadPro RPSP-15 Universal CB Extension Speaker
The next CB external speaker is the RoadPro RPSP-15 which is comparable in terms of power and parameters to its competitors.
The speaker has compact, optimal dimensions that allows you to place it in any corner of the car. The maximum power output does not seem very high. However, it fits almost all CB radio models. Be sure when using it that you will get all five watts of power.
The speaker has a standard design, which is its main charm. It has a swivel bracket, 3.5 mm jack and 8-inch cord. All five watts of power are packaged in a metal case with a metal grid. It means that the sound will be clear, since the metal plays a shielding role.
RoadPro RPSP-15 CB external speaker will handle its main task well and replace the radio speaker, giving you pure high-quality sound.
- RPSP-15 has a metal body and a grid.
- The external speaker design is equipped with a swivel bracket and an 8-inch long cord.
- Earpiece jack is 3.5 mm.
- The output power of the speaker from RoadPro is 5 W, and the operating power is 8 ohms.
3. Astatic 302-VS4 5W/8Ω Noise Cancelling External CB Speaker
Astatic 302-VS4 is a powerful CB extension speaker that is packed with many great features. It includes a noise canceling bracket. The second advantage of this external speaker is the long cord 10 feet long.
This classic extension speaker is not difficult to connect. Just take the 3.5 mm plug and plug it into the connector. Installing this extension speaker is also very simple – it only requires a couple of screws.
This speaker will give you the simple enjoyment of high-quality sound. The 302-VS4 speaker does not have extra features that could confuse you or create problems. Therefore, it is very useful for your car.
- Astatic 302-VS4 is only for internal use, when connected to a CB radio.
- The maximum output power is five watts.
- The impedance of the extension speaker is 8 ohms.
- It also comes with a 10-inch cord and a 3.5 mm mini plug.
- The speaker is installed using a mounting bracket.
4. Uniden (BC23A) Bearcat 15-Watt Amplified External Communications Speaker
Uniden BC23A is a small speaker with a good 300 Hz-5 kHz frequency. This frequency allows the CB speaker to work well and produce clear sound. Many people call this external speaker a rock speaker. In my opinion, it says a lot about its capabilities.
Uniden’s speaker allows you to enjoy the beautiful sound. It is due to its noise canceling function, which reduces electrical noise and external interference.
This external speaker also has an excellent design and appearance. This is because it has a metal body and a grid, as well as a metal mounting bracket. It allows you to turn the speaker in a convenient direction.
The special design of the external speaker has a power switch, a volume control, and another button for additional functions (such as noise reduction). Uniden Bearcat is strong both outside and inside. It is, therefore, worthy of being called the best sounding CB external speaker.
- Uniden BC23A is compatible with all superior CB radios, as well as scanners.
- The connector is 3.5 mm.
- The output power of the speaker is eight watts.
- The speaker gives 13.8 V DC 1.5 A (2.0 A with fuse).
- There is no noise or annoying sound because the noise canceling function makes the sound more clear without interference.
5. Midland 21-406 Deluxe CB / Amateur / Marine Extension Speaker
The Midland 21-406 Deluxe CB speaker reproduces very high-quality sound. It is not surprising because the maximum power of this speaker is as much as 15 watts.
I have checked it myself. You get high-quality clear sound, even in the largest city in the world.
Thw21-406 CB speaker is only suitable for internal use. However, you can use it for any CB radio, whether you are an amateur or a professional (a policeman or a sailor). The sound quality is excellent and can even be used it at home. I only hear clear sound without noise and interference.
The speaker case is also robust and equipped with an adjustable bracket. It is not an amplified speaker, but can be used for all radio amateurs.
- The maximum output power is 15W.
- The Midland external speaker has a swiveling mounting bracket.
- The speaker from Midland is suitable for connecting to CB and marine radio.
- The connector is 3.5 mm.
- It is made of durable plastic.
6. VECTORCOM TRD550 Rectangular 3.5mm plug 5W external CB speaker
The weight of this speaker is 270 g, but there are many things that the speaker can do. First, it has a good cord that allows you to place the speaker in any place you can reach, without being distracted from your driving.
Secondly, all the functions of the Rectangular external CB speaker are suitable for the classic amateur radio tunings. You can use it with any CB or Ham radio.
It also has good power, which has several advantages:
- it fits most of the radios that each of us has in the car
- it works to the fullest and squeezes out all five watts.
I was pleased with the sound quality. Everything sounds much better and without too much noise.
- The connector is also 3.5 mm.
- It has a rectangular CB speaker that is three inches.
- The impedance of this external CB speaker is 8 ohms.
- The power rating is 5 Wt.
- This rectangular external speaker will work well with any CB and Ham radio (if the power of the radio is bigger).
- The cord is six feet in length.
7. TOPMYS TM-ES608 Mini CB Radio Speaker
TOPMYS TM-ES608 is a very good quality radio speaker. It really enhances the sound of the radio. You can install this speaker anywhere in the car, because the cable length is up to two meters.
Connecting the speaker to the radio is not difficult (you can do it with any radio) because it has a plug that is 3.5 mm in size. The TM-ES608 CB radio speaker is very small in size but it is quite powerful – up to 10 watts.
Installing the TM-ES608 CB radio speaker is easy, because it has a mounting bracket and mounting screws included. You quickly can put it anywhere. The sound quality is as powerful as the speaker. Even in a noisy city with open windows, the sound quality is excellent condition.
- This speaker works great with any CB radio.
- The maximum output power is 10 watts.
- Impedance is 8 ohms.
- There is a 3.5 mm mono plug.
- The case has a metal grid (durable CE, ROHS standard).
- The speaker kit includes the installation screws.
8. ZAXIDALER Rectangular External Communications Speaker for CB Radio
If you want great sound from a compact speaker, the Rectangular external communication speaker is for you.
This speaker is a very modest size, at a little more than four inches. However, the size is not important. Rectangular made a speaker that perfectly transmits sound, as soon as you plug it into Ham radio.
The advantage of this external speaker is that you can use it for CB radio or for bilateral (and possibly police) scanners. The Rectangular external communication speaker is a metal box, has six feet long cord and a 3.5 mm plug.
The modest design of this speaker still makes it better than any internal radio speaker. In addition, it can produce a rather high volume, so you can hear well when you are driving or there is wind outside. It does not affect the sound.
- Rectangular external communication speaker is 4.5 x 2.5 x 2.25 inches.
- Power is 8 ohms.
- Included with the external speaker is a cord (six feet in length).
- This speaker is suitable for CB radio receivers, two-way and police scanners.
- The plug at the end of the cord has a size of 3.5 mm.
- The speaker is mounted using a mounting bracket and two sheet metal screws that come with the speaker.
9. Pro Trucker 4″ Heavy Duty External CB Radio Speaker
The Pro Trucker external CB radio speaker is one of the most powerful speakers I have ever seen. This speaker produces up to 20 W of power. Not every radio is capable of this.
This heavy-duty speaker has a mounting bracket and all the necessary equipment for installation. Pro Trucker’s speaker takes up little space in the car due to its small size.
Besides the fact that this speaker is very powerful, it also perfectly filters the sound and projects it out in a clear and precise form. The speaker has adequate volume, even if there is a lot of noise around you.
This powerful speaker is ideal for those who want the best, most powerful land the loudest (and also for those whose radio is able to with stand the power).
- Pro Trucker’s maximum output power is 20W.
- This external radio speaker has a mounting bracket and screws for installation.
- It has a noise-canceling function.
- The compact size is 3 x 2 x 2 inches.
- The 3.5 mm plug is also included.
10. RoadPro RP-108C 2-3/4″ CB Extension Speaker with Swivel Bracket
There is another external speaker from one of the most popular brands, RoadPro RP-108C. It is a powerful speaker that is capable of six watts of power.
You can place it anywhere in your car or even at home, because it has a six feet long cord.
The RP-108C CB external speaker produces good sound. You can use it for the CB as well as for the scanner and the marine base station (but not for the phone).
This speaker is very loud. However, it produces a normal volume and does not work quietly. This volume is enough to enjoy a pleasant and clear sound, even while on the freeway. If the volume were any higher, it would negatively affect the clarity of the sound.
The verdict is that if you want a cool speaker but your budget is limited, this is for you.
- It is ideal for CB, CW, and SSB.
- The speaker has a plastic case.
- The peak power of the RoadPro RP-108C is 8 ohms and 6 watts.
- RP-108C external CB speaker has a swivel bracket and cord with a length of six feet.
- The cord has a 3.5 mm plug.
Buying Guide Of Best External CB Speaker
Before buying the most publicized CB external speaker, it is better to get some theoretical knowledge. If you do this, you will never regret your choice. You must be sure exactly why and what you buy. Let’s start with “why.”
Why Do You Need An External CB Radio Speaker?
Many people think that a CB external speaker is a marketing idea. However, if you have had a CB radio, you know that the built-in speakers sometimes do not work very well.
Some of them transmitted only noise and interference and very poor sound. These CB radios with bad speakers need CB external speakers.
External radio speakers have many interesting updates that are not available in built-in speakers.
For example, some CB external speakers have emergency channels, a reverse system and other features. If you are a connoisseur of good sound (without interference and noise), then a CB external speaker is exactly what you need.
Features to Look for During Purchase
These are some of the most important features you should look for to find the best external CB radio speaker. These are the features and functions that I take into consideration when making a purchase.
The purpose of the purchase is what distinguishes the normal buyer from the shopaholic. It prevents future dissatisfaction with the purchase.
I am sure that you have met people who were dissatisfied with their purchases. With CB external speakers, many people are unhappy with the sound being too loud or too low a volume. As a result, they quickly decide that they are disappointed with the external speaker.
It is, therefore, important to determine what you want from the CB external speaker. An external speaker is an essential item for truckers cb radio.
For example, I chose this features in an external speaker: high-quality sound without noise, a noise suppressor, the ability to control the volume and compactness. I am ready to pay money for a speaker with these features. Define your goal such as: you want to get only better quality reception or the CB external speaker should have something else.
The installation of the CB external speaker is very important. When you install an external speaker in the car, there is a limited place. You want to enjoy the sound, so everything should be very simple.
Since most speakers are installed inside the car, the CB external speaker is designed to be easy to install. For most of the speakers that you see in the store, that will be the case. It is also good if the speaker cable is long.
A swivel bracket on the CB external speaker, will make the installation easy. An expensive CB external speaker must have all the necessary accessories for installation.
To facilitate installation, choose a speaker that will have a bracket (turning) and the necessary equipment.
This is the reason why most CB radio users buy CB external speaker.
Small speakers usually have a high tone, while large speakers, by contrast, have a deep tone. The sound quality is highly dependent on the power. If the speaker outputs 10 watts of power, it will give a good, accurate sound at an optimum volume.
The design of CB external speakers are very similar. Manufacturers call it a “modern design.” It is actually a small black or gray box.
The CB external speaker design also includes a cord, an earpiece jack (usually 3.5 mm) and a plug, as well as a swivel bracket or similar system for installation. The whole “modern design” ends there.
If you expect the word “design” to represent something futuristic and fashionable, forget about it. When choosing a CB external speaker, mobility is more important.
Fortunately, the manufactures of the CB external speaker decided to make small external CB speakers. I recommend choosing small speakers, so you can place them anywhere in the car and get good quality sound.
The swivel bracket is necessary for the speaker to be mobile and to turn it. The bracket rotates at both 90 and 180 degree angles. Choose only models with a swivel bracket, because there are also straight lines.
Not all CB external speaker models have a talkback function. However, this seems to be a very useful function. It can be used it to control the clarity of voice and to tune in a CB radio.
It is my opinion that the noise canceling function is necessary. One of the main reasons for purchasing a CB external speaker is to get rid of the noise from the CB radio.
The noise canceling also helps you to clearly hear your interlocutor. It slightly increases the cost, but it is worth it.
Many CB radios have an Ext Speaker connector on the back. This connector is designed to connect to the CB external speaker. The radio external speaker has a plug at the end of the cord. This plug is very similar to the headphone plug and is exactly the same size – 3.5 mm (although the size may be different, I took the most common size as an example).
Power is also a very important feature. Many people consider the power first, and then other functions. This is absolutely correct. Too much power is as bad as too little power.
First, if the external speaker for the CB radio has very high power, which is more than any other speaker, it is a marketing move and the speakers will produce less power.
My experience is that 10 watts of power is enough for high-quality sound at normal volume.
If you want to get more power, you need to use an amplifier. The speakers will not produce any more power.
There is not much choice of color in CB radio external speakers. The speakers are only available in black and gray.
You will find my different brands when you are shopping for CB external speakers. The following is a listing of what I believe are the best brands:
The RoadPro brand makes small compact amplifiers with low power, which will preserve the strength of the external speaker. This brand makes durable metal products.
The sound of this speaker is at an average volume level. It is also easy to install in the car due to its compact size.
Vectorcom also makes a compact, low-power CB external speaker. It can produce optimum clear sound. This brand is affordable for everyone.
This brand’s products were created specifically for those who want good sound without additional features.
Midland is a good brand that makes an external speaker for CB radio with high performance. This is a reasonably priced brand with all of the necessary functions.
They make powerful products (up to 15 watts) with good sound quality. Midland external speaker is compact with a strong signal.
Cobra makes some of the most powerful speakers that are available. They have the same design as other CB external speakers (only in an aluminum shell and with a metal grid). However, inside everything is different.
This brand “pumps up” products with a capacity of up to 15 watts. It has several other features including noise reduction and talkback.
Uniden has a slightly different design than other competing brands. It is very small. The dynamics of this brand work with both CB and scanners. The speakers have silencers and high sound quality.
The prices are different, starting at $ 15 . The price usually depends on how many functions the external speaker has. The noise canceling and talkback functions, as well as a high power rating increase the price, but it is worth the money.
Also Read: 10 Best Stubby Antenna Reviews By Expert
How Do You Install a CB Radio External Speaker?
As mentioned previously, 98% of all CB external speakers have swivel brackets.
The bracket can be fastened to the chair or the roof and anywhere in the car. It has two holes in which you should tighten the screws.
Before you tighten the screws, be sure that the length of the wire from the CB radio external speakers reaches the radio.
To connect the external radio speaker to CB radio you need to follow these steps:
- First, install the speaker in the most convenient place during use.
- Be sure that the radio output power is higher than the CB radio external speaker output power. If the power of the radio is eight watts and you bought a speaker whose power is 15 watts they will not be compatible.
- The cord from the external speaker must be inserted into the appropriate connector on the radio.
- If you want to keep the speaker for a long time, you should turn off the radio before connecting it.
FAQ’s on CB External Speaker
What is the difference between the CB external speaker uPA tones?
The difference is placement. For example, the CB radio external speaker is installed inside the car and only transmits incoming signals inside the car.
PA is due to the fact that the public address is used on the outer part and transmits signals from you to others. Using PA also requires a microphone.
Where does the CB external speaker take 10 and 15 watts? Does it work on batteries?
Many people think that the external speaker requires batteries or something else to make it work. In fact, it doesn’t. The speaker takes energy from your CB radio. CB is the power source for the external speaker.
Which body of CB external speaker is better – plastic or metal?
There are various CB external speakers on the market. Some of them are plastic, while others are made of metal.
Since none of the speakers are water-repellent and not suitable outside use, strength does not matter. However, I recommend choosing metal-cased models because it provides better shielding.
What plug fits an external speaker on a CB?
A 3.5 mm plug will fit an external speaker on a CB radio.
How do I connect my PA speaker to my CB radio?
To do it, you will need three things, a CB radio, a PA speaker, and a 3.5 mm headphone speaker wire. Now, to make it work, get the wires coming out of the PA. There will be two wires coming out of the PA. What you need to do is connect the power wire with the speaker’s wire. But to do that, first, you need to split the headphone wire.
There will be an insulated and non-insulated wire there. You will use the insulated wire to connect with your PA’s power wire and the other two together. That’s how you get the PA speaker connected to the CB radio.
Does the CB radio PA speaker drive power from battery?
Yes, the PA speaker will draw power from the battery. That’s why you need a switched power source.
Do CB radios have built-in speakers?
All the CB radios today come with built-in speakers.
In my opinion, the purchase of the best CB radio external speaker is a very good investment that will quickly pay off with good sound. If you choose the right speaker and do everything correctly, you can quickly get a clear connection.
CB radio external speaker is a unique product that has everything you need and does not require the purchase of additional accessories. It what makes using a CB radio even more enjoyable.