Truck drivers need CB radio like no other.
The radio not only brightens up the road with pleasant music but also makes the driver aware of the weather, emergencies, and what is happening on the road.
However, the best one has not only weather and danger channels but many other functions.
Do you want to learn how to choose the best CB radio for truckers and enjoy your off road trip? Then follow the below!
Our Top Picks
AnyTone Smart CB
Best CB Radio For Truckers: Reviewed
1. Uniden PRO505XL 40-Channel CB Radio
Uniden PRO505XL is a CB radio with 40 channels. The PRO505XL is ideal for those who spend a lot of time on the road. There are a few reasons why truckers should pay attention to this radio.
First, the Uniden PRO505XL has the function of an instant channel (switches from one emergency channel to another).
In addition, this radio has a signal/ radio frequency indicator, with which you can check the relative strength of incoming transmissions. You can also connect an external speaker to have the best sound.
Finally, Uniden PRO505XL manages 40 channels automatically, manages noise reduction, displays the channels, has a volume control, and everything you need for convenient use.
The output power of this radio is 4 Watt since it does not have the SBB function.
- Uniden PRO505XL has a large backlit LCD display and is easy to read.
- There is a function to control and adjust the transmit power and check the relative strength of incoming signals.
- PRO505XL has a speakerphone function that is audible not only inside the car but also outside.
- The radio has the functions of CB and Public Address.
- The case has an Instant Channel 9 emergency button, Up/ Down channel buttons and an S / RF Meter.
- There is a built-in connector for connecting an external speaker to connect an additional external speaker.
- It includes CB-radio, 4-pin electret microphone, mounting hardware, and mounting bracket.
2. AnyTone Smart 10 Meter Amateur Radio for truck
AnyTone Smart Radio is ideal for truck drivers. Smart Radio is both big and small at the same time.
This radio is small because of the size, despite the durable alloy body. It has a big advantage – a small radio is easy to install anywhere in the car. And this radio is great in terms of capabilities because it has a huge number of useful functions.
First, it is a modulation mode that has AM and FM, which allows you to sound loud and clear. Second, pay attention to the output power. It is at 15 watts.
Accordingly, the range of signals will be wider. Smart Radio has many useful features such as Push-to-Talk, UP, DN.
As you noticed, AnyTone Smart Radio is a 10-meter radio station. And the radio is suitable for the truck. What is the secret? You can convert this to a CB radio kit with 40 channels using Push-to-Talk, UP, DN, which I mentioned above.
- The standard frequency is 28.000–29.700 MHz.
- A 10-meter radio with 400 channels can become an 11-meter CB radio with 40 channels.
- This long-range CB radio for jeep has a fully doped body with automatic noise reduction and manual noise reduction control.
- The maximum output power is 15W FM / AM PEP.
- There is a frequency control function – PLL synthesizer.
- There are functions of push-to-talk / UP / DN and a spiral cord for converting radio to CB radio.
3. Uniden PC78LTX 40-Channel Trucker’s CB Radio
We turn to the usual things, such as the Uniden PC78LTX which is a standard CB radio with many of the most useful features.
The PC78LTX radio will be the perfect companion in the long road because it has the “instant channel” function for channel 9 and 19 for emergencies. With this radio, you can be sure that you will hear other operators superbly.
The improved signal is possible thanks to Mic and RF Gain and High Cut, as well as features Automatic Noise Limiter and Noise Blanker. You will never hear background noise with this set of functions.
Uniden PC78LTX is a great opportunity to save money on SWR-meter because it is already there. So the setting will always be perfect. As for the range, you can catch signals without the slightest noise from 2 to 7 miles.
- Uniden PC78LTX has 40 channels, including NOAA emergency and weather channels with an “instant channel” function for channel 9.
- The radio has a built-in SWR-meter and Public Address function.
- There are Automatic Noise Limiter and Noise Blanker.
- It has Mic and RF Gain and High Cut features.
- The long-range CB radio for off-roading catches signals in the range of the distance from 2 to 7 miles with a maximum output power of 4 watts.
- The PC78LTX works with a 4-pin microphone.
4. Midland 5001Z 40-Channel Mobile CB with Switchable Noise Filter
Midland 5001Z is a mobile CB radio that is great for use in cars and trucks. It has 40 channels with an output of 4 watts maximum. And this power is enough for maximum communication range.
Midland 5001Z is the perfect choice for truckers, and not only so. The fact is that the radio has an X-Tra Talk Mic Gain Control function that enhances the transmission of audio sensitivity.
This feature will make your voice stronger and clearer. Believe me, other operators will thank you.
The 5001Z also has the RF Gain Control feature, with which you can adjust the signal sensitivity. Using this function, you can get a clear reception.
So, the Midland 5001Z gives you the opportunity not only to transmit a clear signal but also to receive it. Not to mention the main features, such as instant channel, ANL and so on, which are also here.
- The radio has the function of PA (speakerphone), dimmer, analog power meter.
- It has 40 channels with the “instant channel” function on channel 9.
- The kit has a full-sized microphone with a latch and the function Push-to-Talk, DC power cable, 4-pin connector, mounting bracket.
- The Midland 5001Z has switchable noise reduction (boost) and Squelch Control, as well as an automatic noise limiter.
- There is a function X-Tra Talk Mic Gain Control to enhance the received signal and RF Gain Control to enhance the transmitted signal.
- The maximum output power is 4 watts.
5. President Johnny III USA 40 Channel CB Radio 12 or 24V
President Johnny III is another radio, which is filled with powerful functions from A to Z.
First, this “president” has a compact size and has every chance to fit anywhere in your car. Secondly, there are many functions here.
Besides the fact that the radio has automatic noise reduction control, it has a WX Alert for emergencies, Roger Beep for the same purpose.
Scan RF Gain is necessary to improve the received signal because not all drivers have such cool hardware in the car.
Johnny III catches signals at a distance of 30 feet by 5 watts. This president will be a good companion on the way.
This radio will be an excellent choice for those who are looking for a durable and compact radio station with a large number of both standard and non-standard features.
- Includes WX Alert features like an automatic noise reduction control.
- The radio operates from 12-24V DC.
- The case has a multi-color backlit LCD display.
- The kit includes a microphone (6-pin; with the ability to control channels), a power cord and a mounting bracket.
- 40 channels, including emergency channels and NOAA weather channels.
- There are a channel scan and instant channel function for emergency 9 and 19 channels.
- Johnny III has a Murata noise filter and has the function of RF gain.
6. Cobra 19ULTRAIII 40 Channel Compact CB Radio
Cobra 19ULTRAIII is a CB radio, which originates from Canada. Radio with Canadian roots has 40 channels, standard output power and many other standard features that are in the arsenal of the best cb radio for off road use.
We are talking about the built-in automatic noise suppressor, backlit display, and instant channel function and so on.
19ULTRAIII is the perfect CB radio for a driver who wants to feel safe and wants to be ready for any events on the road. Believe me, this radio will keep you safe.
After all, it has a display convenient for use both day and night, access to emergency channels. It is easy to install in any convenient place to call for help quickly.
- The case is small (7*4*1.75 inches) with a built-in backlit LCD display.
- Radio has 40 channels, some of which broadcasts about the weather and 2 channels are emergency.
- The maximum output power is 4 watts.
- There is a function of built-in automatic noise reduction against background noise.
- Cobra 19ULTRAIII has an instant channel feature that works only for emergency channels.
- Radio designed and made in Canada.
7. Uniden PC68LTX 40-Channel CB Radio with PA/CB Switch
Uniden PC68LTX is a CB radio with PA and CB switch. But these are not the only functions.
To begin with, this radio has a standard 40 channels and standard output power, as well as a Public Address, which each iron has. What else?
The manufacturer made sure that the 40 channels were informative and included several functions of the cleaning signal from background noise. It includes an automatic squelch and silencer, as well as a Mic and RF Gain.
With a radio like Uniden PC68LTX, you will not be embarrassed to go to the longest way. The fact is that the radio is a) powerful, b) durable, c) has advanced functions and e) adjustable parameters for super sound. The PC68LTX has a channel indicator function so you never miss important information.
The appearance of the radio station is classic, but you can customize the inside of the radio as you want. It is the main advantage of this radio.
- The radio has 40 CB channels with channel indicator function, channel selector, instant channel 9 functions.
- There are RF Gain Control and Mic Gain Control functions in both PA and RF amplifier mode.
- PC68LTX has a new robust microphone with gain control and Hi-Cut feature.
- ANL and Noise Blanker features are included to reduce static electricity.
- There are an adjustable LED display and RF meter.
- The maximum transmits power is 4 watts.
- Uniden PC68LTX has no extra wires.
8. Kenwood TM-D710G 144/440 MHz Amateur Mobile Transceiver
We got to the best dual-band radio – Kenwood TM-D710G.
This CB radio operates in the VHF + VHF/VHF + UHF/UHF + UHF bands, has a lot of programmable memory and is generally the most powerful among the analogs.
Is Kenwood TM-D710G Transceiver for whom? Such a radio will be an excellent choice for those who want to get maximum power, maximum range and maximum capabilities at minimum cost. That is, this radio will suit every driver.
Kenwood TM-D710G gives you a clear sense of security. The fact is that the radio catches signals in the framework of a wide reception of 118–524 MHz, 800–1300 MHz.
The radio will work even out of frequency and out of the cellular area. It also has built-in GPS, so you will never get lost. Ideal for those drivers who use CB for safety mostly.
- Wide reception in the range of 118–524 MHz, 800–1300 MHz, excluding blocking of cellular communication.
- The radio has 1000 multi-functional memory channels.
- Kenwood TM-D710G Transceiver has equipped with a “five-in-one” programmable memory.
- The radio is equipped with built-in GPS.
- There are EchoLink MEMORY (Automatic Call) and EchoLink Sysop Mode at a maximum output power of 50 watts.
- The radio body is equipped with an LCD display with two colors backlight (yellow and green colors).
- There is a 104-digit digital code squelch.
9. Yaesu Original FTM-100DR 144/430 C4FM
Yaesu Original FTM-100DR has everything you need in a dual-band radio. I will start with the size because it is very compact. It fits perfectly in any place in your car – on the front panel, in the upper part – anywhere.
From the first minute of using this radio, you become a professional, because the interface is very simple and clear how to navigate in it.
Yaesu Original FTM-100DR is the case when the microphone in the kit is the best option. The point is that the microphone has a keyboard for setting frequencies.
A big plus of this radio is the built-in GPS. I feel better when I know that I will not get lost on the road.
As for the functions, it is a lot. For example, the FTM-100DR has the breadth of the System Fusion range. There are also analog receiver functions and a dot matrix display. Everything we love.
- Included is a mobile bracket, connecting cable SCU-20 for PC, DC power cable, microphone hanger.
- The radio operates in Voice FR mode (Voice Full Rate Mode), as well as in FR data mode (high-speed data transfer mode).
- There are 500 memory channels for each band A (main) and band B.
- The case is equipped with a dot-matrix display with white backlight and a multi-color status indicator on the front panel and a slot for a Micro SD card.
- Yaesu Original FTM-100DR has automatic mode selection (AMS), smart navigation, Digital Group Monitor (GM), and APRS with 1200/9600 bps.
- There is a built-in high-sensitivity 66-channel GPS antenna, the ability to record GPS data, voice guidance and recording function and Bluetooth for hands-free calling.
- Output power is 50 W / 20 W / 5 W at 144/430 MHz, and the wide receiver range is 108 MHz – 999.99 MHz * 3.
10. Radioddity CB-27 CB Radio Mobile 40-Channel
The latest in the list of best CB radio for jeep is the Radioddity CB-27. A compact and portable radiodoes not bother you in a complex installation.
It is one of the best radios in my memory, which has excellent sensitivity and RF gain control.
Such a feature as a noise reduction control is worth separate attention. There are not just a couple of functions, but 9 levels of automatic noise reduction (ASQ) and 29 levels of manual noise reduction.
With such a radio, you have every chance to block the static background not only on your radio, even on the radio of passing cars. It is joking!
- There is an RF Gain Control function with reception sensitivity setting and a PA system in external dynamics.
- The radio has 9 levels of Automatic Squelch (ASQ) and 29 levels of Manual Squelch to clear the sound of statistical noise.
- It has 40 channels, and 9 and 19 emergency channels and AM support.
- The output power of the radio is 4 watts.
- The case has a backlit display and a keypad with the ability to lock and an EMG button for switching.
- It is possible to scan the memory.
- Included is a car charger, but no antenna (the desired connector is 27 MHz, SO-239).
Overview Of The Best CB Radio For Truckers
Features To Look For During Purchase
Read these few factors before buying any CB radio on which “for truckers” can be written. In my opinion, these factors are mandatory for those who want to enjoy shopping. We will not waste time and break the first factor!
Factor 1: Frequency Range
Many CB radios have a point-to-point transmitter that allows you to catch a signal at very long distances. Almost all radio stations on the market have 40 channels. It means that all radio stations operate in the 27 MHz bands (11 m) on average.
Factor 2: Automatic Noise Reduce
Automatic Noise Reduce is one of the most important functions that must be in your radio in a truck. This feature is electronic filtering that reduces background and static noise.
Usually, such noise occurs due to the active electrical environment. Such a function can be very useful for the noise of the road and other trucks not to interfere with the signal.
Factor 3: LCD display
Any modern CB radio must have an LCD display. Ideal if the screen is backlit. It will give you the opportunity to use the radio in the dark when it is impossible to turn on the lighting of the cab of the truck.
Many displays on CB radio can react to the environment through indicators. So lighting changes to brighten or dim.
Factor 4: Microphone
As a rule, microphones come complete with a radio station. Such a microphone may not be the best, without additional functions. It can spoil the signal.
That is why in order to avoid this, you can use an external microphone purchased separately. Be sure that the new microphone fits into the CB radio in your truck.
Factor 5: Power System
All radios operate with a power of 4 watts. The FCC allows exactly this power. So, do not expect anything more from your radio.
An exception is a radio with the SSB function (you can learn more about the function below). Such CB radio receivers transmit a signal with a power of 12 W.
Not only the power but also the signal transmission distance is greater.
Factor 6: Squelch Control
Squelch Control function is another cool feature and great for those who want to transmit a clear signal.
This function does not allow the operator to constantly listen to static signals and activates the speaker only when receiving a transmission. Fortunately, this feature is included in almost every CB radio station.
Look for the presence of not only Squelch Control but also RF Gain. This function filters the received signals.
RF Gain blocks weak transmissions, and thus it eliminates background noise when talking to an operator who transmits a strong signal.
Factor 7: Channel Scanning
Channel scanning will be a great addition to the general list of functions best CB radio for truck drivers. The matter is that scanning allows you to quickly monitor different channels and find the most interesting ones.
You can monitor several weather channels NOAA, emergency channels and any other. There are 40 channels on your CB radio, which means that you have something to scan.
Moreover, channel scanning does not require manual sorting of different channels. The radio will scan the entire band and stop only when it finds a signal.
Factor 8: SSB Enable
I have already talked about SSB and that it gives small advantages. If SSB is enabled, it will give a long distance connection. Single-band modulation uses more power and this is completely legal.
Factor 9: Size & Weight
CB radios have different size and weight – some models are large and heavy, and some are not. If the radio station has a large size and weight – this is not a guarantee of a large number of functions inside.
As a rule, the difference lies in the materials. You are free to choose a radio station of any size and weight. Moreover, all CB radio is easy to install.
Factor 10: Number of channels
All CB radios have 40 channels. As a rule, channels dedicated to the weather and information about emergency cases are separate.
So about 30 channels can be used for chatter and information from other drivers about what is happening on the road.
Factor 11: Antenna and Antenna Tuner
An antenna is required for CB radio if you want to catch a signal. There are several options for antennas.
For example, there are fiberglass antennas, magnetic antennas, 102-degree whip antennas, and antennas directed toward the center.
Fiberglass antennas are 2 to 7 feet long. Fiberglass is only in the rod of such an antenna, the antenna is a wire. Using such an antenna, you can increase the range up to 7 miles maximum.
Magnetic antennas also have a magnet only at the base, and then there is a whip antenna that connects to the radio through a coaxial cable. Magnetic antennas have only two sizes: 3 feet and 5 feet.
Therefore, a 3-foot antenna receives a signal of up to three miles, and a 5-foot signal reaches up to 7 miles. If you install this antenna on the roof of the car, you can get a great result.
102-degree whip antennas can be the best choice for truckers because such an antenna provides a range of up to 10 miles. To be honest, this antenna is very high – 8.5 feet in length.
Directional antennas are also a good option for truckers.
Firstly, these antennas have a “serious” body – a stainless steel bottom shaft, a plastic body reel, and a steel whip at the top. Such an antenna provides a signal in the range of 7 to 10 miles.
Factor 12: Brand
Cobra is a popular brand that makes different radios for different occasions. Cobra’s CB Radio for Truckers will make any trip beautiful and safe.
All radio stations from this brand scan weather channels even when the radio is turned off (so you will be warned anyway), switch emergency channels with one click.
It has all the necessary functions (ANL and RF amplifier) for a cleaner signal without background noise. And as a nice bonus, you can connect this radio to any speaker system.
Uniden brand makes special radio stations. The radio stations of this brand are delivered with an integrated SWR meter. It is convenient and saves your money. This brand has fully equipped radio stations.
Uniden’s standard CB radio has a noise-canceling microphone, a full-feature backlit display, 40 channels, RF gain control, automatic noise reduction, weather alerts. Everything you need is here.
Midland brand makes excellent radio stations that have all the simple and necessary functions that allow you to amplify the radio frequency and get an excellent signal.
In addition, this brand “packs” its radio stations fully and sets an attractive price for the “full set” of functions. It makes happy!
What is the average radio station from Midland? It is necessarily a bright LED display, RF gain, access to emergency channels and access to weather channels, power switch, volume control, and so on.
Galaxy brand deserves attention because it supplies radio stations with SSB function. It means that the maximum power is 12 watts, while all other radios “squeeze” 4 watts.
The Galaxy CB for truckers has an easy-to-read display with LED lighting and dimmer at night, proprietary filtering for good signal quality, and many other features that make the signal stronger and cleaner.
There is no politics. We talk about the brand that makes some of the best CB radio, which will also be an excellent choice for truckers. «President» also manufactures AM, AM/ FM, and AM/FM/SSB transceivers.
The average radio will have 40 channels, volume control, manual noise suppressor, multi functional LCD display, and frequency display.
You could also find Vox, ANL, NB and HI-CUT functions, a local DX key, channel, and memory scanning and some memories.
Factor 13: Price
The price range for the best CB radio for off-roading can be completely different – from $ 20 to infinity. The price depends on many factors. For example, the number of functions, the quality of the case, and so on the matter.
Factor 14: Weather Alert
This function must be on your radio, especially if you are a trucker. It is due to the fact that up to 10 channels out of 40 are devoted to the weather (are NOAA). All information is updated in real time.
Because your safety depends on the weather, you, as a truck driver, should always be aware of the weather, the dangers that await you on the way.
Some CB radios have an alert function even when the radio is turned off. So that in case of approaching dangerous weather, you can take care of your safety in advance.
Additionally, look for such a function as an instantaneous emergency channel. This function works for channels 9 and 19. The essence of the function is that the radio performs a quick transition from channel 9 to channel 19.
Why Off-road Truck driver needs a CB Radio?
Many drivers do not understand why they should have CB radio if they have mobile phones and many other means of communication. It is simple.
CB radios are necessary for truck drivers because such a radio provides a wireless connection wherever you are. Let’s look at specific examples.
CB radio is needed for an emergency. As a rule, the infrastructure does not work properly in an emergency.
Because of this, the mobile phone loses connection and even emergency calls become impossible. CB radio will continue to connect you with services that can immediately help you.
How do you know about the situation on the road?
Most often, truckers choose one of the CB radio channels and discuss what is happening on the road (where the accident happened, where the road is being repaired, where you need to be careful, and so on).
Say YES that calling each other every time is a big problem. So, you can notify only one driver. CB radio channel notifies all drivers who caught this channel.
Forewarned Is Forearmed
CB radio has a function that notifies you of dangerous weather and emergencies that may occur in the near future. And it works as a local and at the level of the whole country.
A mobile phone will not give you this information unless you look specifically. CB radio will alert you even if you have not turned on the radio. It gives you the opportunity to take care of your safety in advance.
How To Install CB Radio On Truck And Jeep
There is nothing difficult to install CB radio on Truck and Jeep. The main thing is to follow a few simple rules.
First, before installing, select a longer antenna. Sometimes the length of the antenna provides better performance (although it all depends on the specific type of antenna).
Secondly, it is important to choose the highest place to install the antenna. The rule “the higher, the greater the performance” works here.
Many CB radio drivers and operators are confident that half of the antenna should be at least above the roof line.
Thirdly, choose the antenna and radio that have the best quality, great range, and great durability.
Now I will tell you about the process of installing CB radio in a few steps.
Step 1. Choose a place
The best place in the truck or jeep is a place near the cigarette lighter. You can place the radio inside a deep opening. Yes, it will not be fast, but it is quite possible to do it.
However, problems may arise because the microphone cord may interfere with the switch and you will need other ideas.
There are many videos on Youtube about how resourceful drivers place CB radios under the steering wheel. In this case, there may also be problems with volume control and channel switching. You just cannot do it while you drive.
Some drivers place the radio on the driver’s side. It will be a good option if the radio is small.
Step 2. Install mount
Imagine that you decided to choose a seat next to the seat (guided by the fact that this will be the fastest installation).
Under the seat on the frame, there is a spare hole (if your car is electric). Usually, radio stations come complete with a mount for installation. Use it!
Step 3. Install the combined bolt and nut
It is necessary for the hole to fit the radio module.
At this stage, you need to align the mount vertically upwards and drill the required hole in the frame (this is necessary to install the upper bolt and nut into the frame).
Why exactly up above? Because the radio can only be screwed into the top mount for a tight fit.
Keep in mind that two bolts provide a stronger mount.Take this step before you install the radio in the selected place!
Step 4. Install wiring
You can lay a wire under the front driver’s seat, under the carpet to the hood. If you chose another place for the radio, then place all the wires under the carpets – this is the most convenient option for all occasions.
Step 5. Install the microphone mount
At this stage, you need to install a microphone. The microphone can be mounted on the left side of the steering wheel (to keep it on one side with the CB radio). This placement could prevent the door from closing.
You may interfere with the wire. That is why glue the wire over the bonnet. By the way, check how much this placement prevents you before drilling holes.
Step 6. Install antenna cable
Be sure that CB radio is finally installed and working before you take this step to realize. In order to install the antenna cable, you need to drill a hole in the bottom of the plastic cover.
Pass it through the plastic cover to the rear seat belt bolts, and put it under the carpet. Take out the plastic cable in the rear corner on the driver’s side. That is, the cable must “hang” under the glass.
Step 7. Install antenna mount
If the base of the antenna is not magnetic, then you may need a hitch. As a rule, all antennas have all the necessary accessories for installation in the kit.
Together with the accessories will be a manual. Antenna installation depends on the type of antenna. In a pinch, you will need to make a couple of holes.
Here installation CB radio in Truck and Jeep will be completed.
How to use CB radio?
Buy, install and set up – this is all you need to use CB radio and enjoy.
In addition, select the channels that will be most popular for you. For example, emergency channel 19 is very popular, and you need to listen to it to be aware of the weather. Explore all 40 channels and choose the most interesting for you.
Do I need to know slang to use CB radio as a trucker?
No, this is not necessary. You may not know the slang and the code that other truckers use.
Although several concepts are required because your safety on the road can depend on them.It is more important to be polite, not to take a lot of time with your messages (especially if it is not very important).
Now you know about all the nuances that are important for the purchase of Best Cb Radio For Truckers. So, nothing prevents you from using it right now, buying the best radio and enjoying communication and road safety tomorrow!