No doubt, the evolution of cell phones made the walkie-talkie look like a thing from the past.
And yet, in today’s time, it still plays a major role in many of the fields. Especially in jobs like construction, police, or survival situations, the best long range walkie talkies are something you would rely on more than your more advanced smartphones.
That’s because they offer a better and faster way of communication. But not all the devices are the same. You’ve got to get a digital walkie talkie that offers a long-range two-way radio to get such strong connectivity.
So, whether you are planning to go on a long trip, hiking, camping, fishing, or just going to some outdoor adventure, you have to have the best long distance walkie-talkie with you.
Where to find that? Just keep on reading.
- What are the Best Long Range Walkie Talkies?
- Best Long Range Walkie Talkies – Reviews
- 1. Midland GXT1000VP4 – Up to 36 Mile Long Range Walkie Talkie
- 2. Arcshell Rechargeable Long Range Two-Way Radios with Earpieces
- 3. Motorola MH230R Talkabout Long Range Walkie Talkies
- 4. Uniden SX377-2CKHS Up to 37 Mile Range Walkie Talkies
- 5. Midland LXT630VP3 – Up to 30 Mile Range Walkie Talkie
- 6. COBRA ACXT645 Rechargeable Long Range Walkie Talkies
- 7. BAOFENG BF-888S Two Way Radio
- 8. Midland X-TALKER T71VP3 – Up to 38 Mile Range Walkie Talkie
- 9. COBRA ACXT1035R FLT Floating Walkie Talkies
- 10. eSynic Rechargeable Walkie Talkies
- Overview of Walkie Talkies
- Benefits of using a walkie talkie
- Walkie Talkie Safety Tips
What are the Best Long Range Walkie Talkies?
Walkie-talkies are not as common as they were a few years ago, but they are just as important. Many security, construction, and disaster management agencies use walkie-talkies for effective uninterrupted, and secure communication. But as a citizen who wants to own one when going camping or fishing, how do you know which best suits your needs.
Best Overall: Midland GXT1000VP4 Long Range Walkie Talkie
This walkie-talkie offers you everything from long-range communication, rechargeable battery to two-way radios with over 50 GMRS channels for all of your needs.
Best Rechargeable: Arschell Rechargeable Long Range Two-Way Radios
With a 1500mAH Li-ion battery that is fully charged in 2.5 hours, you are assured of fast charging capabilities.
Best Dual Power System: Motorolla MH230R Talkabout Long Range Walkie Talkies
This walkie-talkie is powered by either a rechargeable battery or three standard AA batteries.
Best Waterproof: Uniden SX377-2CKHS Range Walkie Talkies
When you go camping or fishing where you are exposed to water and rain, you need a waterproof walkie-talkie for communication during this time, and there is no better one in the market than this one.
Editor’s Choice: Midland LXT630VP3 Long Range Walkie Talkie
It comes in a pack of three good for a small group, and its compact size makes it easy to hold and carry.
Most Reliable: COBRA ACXT645 Long Range Walkie Talkies
It has a solid compact build to withstand falls.
Best Group Walkie Talkie: BAOFENG BF – 888S Two Way Radio
It is the best deal for a group as you get six walkie-talkies of the same design.
Best Voice Activation: Midland X-TALKER T71VP3 Walkie Talkies
This walkie-talkie allows you to operate it using voice activation.
Best Survival Walkie Talkie: COBRA ACXT1035R FLT Floating Walkie Talkies
These walkie-talkies offer you a long-lasting battery, LED torchlight, SOS, and weather alerts that give you all you need in life and death situations.
Best Battery Life: eSynic Rechargeable Walkie Talkie
You get continuous 8-9 hours of talk time on a single charge with this walkie-talkie.
Best Long Range Walkie Talkies – Reviews
This bunch of top 10 long range walkie talkies is going to ease your talking experience on air. Have a look and choose one from the list.
1. Midland GXT1000VP4 – Up to 36 Mile Long Range Walkie Talkie
If you’re looking for a rechargeable walkie talkie, then go with the Midland GXT1000VP4. This pair pack set comes with two-way radios that offer a handful of features.
To start with, you get 50 GMRS channels. Of these 50, 22 are primary channels while the other 28 get extra privacy coded for secure communication between both ends. Along with the 142 CTCSS/DCS privacy codes, you get a 3124 channel option that helps you block other conversations.
In terms of range, it covers around 36 miles. In an open field, you’ll get that kind of range, but with obstruction, the range will slightly defer from it. You will enjoy the survival walkie talkie not only for the range but for other features like the NOAA weather scan system. Using this the 2-way radios can scan through 10 weather channels and lock to the strongest one to keep you notified about the weather conditions. If the weather gets bad, there is an alarm to let you know.
And while you need to walk with your hands-free, the eVOX system allows you to do that too by letting the radio activate picking up the voice only.
- JIS4 waterproof device protects against water and dust
- X-TRA talk power for extended battery life
- Extreme range up to 36 miles
- Easy channel scan system
- 10 different call alerts
- Weather alert system
- SOS alert sends a beep to notify emergency services or nearby radio signals
- Keypad lock to avoid accidental setting changes
2. Arcshell Rechargeable Long Range Two-Way Radios with Earpieces
For the best walkie talkies for the road trip, go for the Archshell. Now, this set of two comes with its separate power docks which are great. But what’s even better is the set includes two headsets two with the deal.
Besides that great package deal, the dimension of it is quite comfortable. With 4.53 inches height, 1.30 inches thickness, and 2.36 inches width, the device is compact enough to fit in any hand. Plus, it only weighs about 6.3 oz. Even though it’s small and lightweight, the radios get a solid build. They can take the fall and even resist the water splashes.
What missing from it is the display. There isn’t any. It is your typical old-school walkie talkie that has a channel and power switch at the top. The power switch also works as the volume control. On the left side, you get a big PTT button. Below that you got a Moni button and a function button. That’s all.
But that aside, the 400-470MHz UHF frequency range offers 16 pre-programmed channels. While changing through the channels a synthesized voice tells you the channel number. And the range it covers is around 5 miles. Therefore perfect for most works.
Meanwhile, the 1500mAH Li-ion battery takes 2.5 hours to charge fully. And you can get around 8 to 96 hours talk time depending on how much you transmit. Even you get a VOX function with the radios. So, all in all, it’s a great deal.
- Package includes: Two radios, Two charging docks, two headsets, and other stuff
- Offers 16 programmable channels.
- Provides 50CTCSS tones and 105CDCSS tones on each programmed channel
- High-quality built-in speaker offers crystal clear sound
- Uses a Push-to-Talk button and also has VOX function
- Battery is 1500mAH rechargeable LI-ion
- Maximum range is 5 miles
- Built-in LED Flash Light
- Intelligent charging: overcharge protection
3. Motorola MH230R Talkabout Long Range Walkie Talkies
Next on the list is the Motorola Talkabout Radio MH230R. What makes this unit unique is its dual power system. You can run the walkie talkies using NiMH rechargeable batteries or either use it using 3 standard AA batteries. The first one offers 10 hours of talk time while the second gives you 26 hours of use.
Coming to the range. The unit offers 23 miles of wireless communication in open areas. In obstructed areas like home and office, you will still get a 1-mile coverage. That’s why the emergency walkie talkie is best for survival trips like hiking and camping.
The NOAA feature also makes it a good case for that. It keeps you updated with real-time weather conditions while connecting to 11 weather channels. Even it has the alert feature to keep you prepared for the unexpected rain and storms.
With 22 channels to choose from using the 121 privacy codes, you get a total of 2662 combinations. So, there is always an open channel for you to connect to at all times. Plus, your communication remains well-secured.
On top of all that, the small and lightweight unit has a unique curve design that fits comfortably in the hand without putting any strain on it. And as there are very few buttons, it is much easier to operate than some of the others. Plus, it has a display, if that’s important to you.
- 10-hour alkaline or 8-hour rechargeable battery life
- 11 weather channels with alert feature
- 22 channels with 121 privacy codes for superior protective connection
- Radio range is 23 miles
- Package includes: 2 radios, 2 belt clips, 1 dual drop-in charger, 1 charging adaptor, 2 NiMH rechargeable battery packs
- Offers iVOX/VOX Hands-free operation
- IP-51 rating ensures dust and dripping water protection
4. Uniden SX377-2CKHS Up to 37 Mile Range Walkie Talkies
A waterproof walkie talkie is a must for outdoor campaigns. That’s why take a good look at the Uniden SX377-2CKHS two-way radio.
The exclusive Direct call feature of the unit lets you call a group of people while everyone’s radio remains silent. The feature is similar to the phone. Just type the 4-letter nickname who you want to connect with and it will establish a line with them. The mode is private, so no one else will be able to listen to you.
With the GMRS frequencies, you get a 37 miles range on open terrain. The number of channels you have is 15 GMRS and 7 FRS. And you get a combined 284 privacy codes. Half for the standard more and the other half is for the exclusive group mode. So, you have plenty of communication channels at your disposal.
It even has the weather broadcast mode to keep you updated about the weather conditions. With a single charge, you get about 14 hours of use. You will love the fact it has many emergency features. Like the LED flashlight and the SOS strobe. Even the backlit display comes handy in dark conditions.
With this deal, you will get a dual charging cradle to charge the battery. And to keep your hands free, you get belt clips to keep the radio attached there or on the bag. Meanwhile, the VOX system will let you communicate hands-free.
- Offers 22 channels
- Total of 282 privacy codes
- 10 variety of call tones
- NOAA weather channels with alert function
- Power boost press to talk key
- Waterproof floating design
- Vibrate call alert and roger beep
- Emergency features: LED flashlight, SOS signal, and backlit display
- Rechargeable batteries with a dual cradle charger
- VOX operation and headset jack support for hand-free operation
5. Midland LXT630VP3 – Up to 30 Mile Range Walkie Talkie
For camping with a small group of 3 people, you need 3 walkie talkies. But most come in a pair. To solve that problem, Midland comes with LXT630VP3 that offers 3 devices in the pack.
You can’t miss out on the yellow faceplate on the walkie talkie as its highly visible. Therefore, it’s easy to find if you drop it on the ground. And with that compact size and clip back at the back, it is easy to store in the belt, bag, or to the pocket.
The communication system is quite secure. Its CCSS system gives a total of 2662 channel options that help you block other conversations. No interference at all using the silent operation that turns off all the other tones. And the range you get is 30 miles with very little or no obstruction.
To keep you safe in outdoor situations, it has the NOAA weather scan system that keeps you notified about the weather and alerts you with a sound alarm. The backlit display is quite visible at dark conditions and therefore easier for you to use. You will get all the necessary information on the display.
And for more comfortable use, the device offers you a VOX system and a channel lock system. That means no need for PTP to communicate, and no risk of accidental channel changes anymore.
- Package includes 3 radios
- It comes with belt clips, rechargeable battery, desktop charger, AC adapter, Dual charging plug AC adaptor, and a manual.
- Dual power operation: runs using 3 AAA batteries or a rechargeable battery
- NOAA weather scan through 10 channels
- Weather alert system
- Offers 121 CTCSS privacy codes for interference-free, secure communication
- Provides a 30-mile range
- It offers a total 36FRS channels
- Easy channel scan to check for activity
6. COBRA ACXT645 Rechargeable Long Range Walkie Talkies
Looking for a solid and reliable walkie talkie? Try the COBRA then. With it, you get a solid body that has rubber grips on the sides. You get a better grip on the radio. And even if you drop it, don’t worry it can take the bumps.
Here, you will 3124 channel combination. You can scan through them easily to find an active channel to connect. The noise reduction feature makes sure to picks only your voice while eliminating any background noise to give you a crystal clear sound.
Weighing about 5.06 oz, this compact unit uses a rechargeable NiMH battery to run. It’s perfect for outdoor use as the waterproof standard of it can take the water splashes without any problem.
Other than that, you get 10 NOAA channels that keep you updated about the weather and notifies you with a sound alert if storm heads in your way. You can get ready for the dark weather with the built-in flashlight on it. Meanwhile, the voice-activated transmission lets you contact with others without pressing any button. Keep your hands free to other stuff.
With a range of 35 miles, this is the best long-distance walkie talkie you will find in the market that notifies you with VibrAlert every time when there is an incoming transmission.
- The pack includes two radios, two charging dock, micro-USB cable and NiMH batteries
- Dimension is 6.74×2.54×1.74 inches (hxwxd)
- The unit weighs about 5.06 oz
- Offers a 35 mile range unobstructed
- 10 NOAA weather channels
- Offers a built-in LED flashlight
- VibrAlert for incoming transmission
- VOX for hands-free use
- IPX4/JIS4 waterproof standard rating
- Gives you a total of 3124 channel combinations
7. BAOFENG BF-888S Two Way Radio
For a big group of travelers or a security team, the BAOFENG BF-888S is the perfect deal. That’s because here you will get 6 walkie-talkies.
Like the Arcshell one, the walkie-talkie set has the same design. That’s why it doesn’t have any display. Just like that one it has two big dials on the top. One is for power and volume while the other gets used to change channels.
In this unit, you will get a total of 16 channels with 50 CTCSS/ 105 CDCSS. So, plenty of frequency to change between to find an active line without interference. The frequency range it offers is 400-470MHz.
What’s best about the unit is that it has a flashlight. Even with that and the transmission, the unit can run for long hours. That’s possible due to its 1500 mAH Li-ion battery. The battery uses a power-saving feature to provide you an extended life.
Other than that, the device has an emergency alarm function and a low voltage alert feature. There is a small light indicator at the front that blinks to alarm you about the voltage issue. So, you won’t damage the batteries while charging.
- Comes with 6 pieces of radios
- Each radio has its earpiece.
- Uses 1500mAH Li-ion rechargeable battery
- Intelligent charging system offers low voltage alert
- Maximum power output of 3-5 watts.
- Frequency range is 400-470 MHz
- It has 16 channels with 50 CTCSS/105CDCSS
- Power saving feature
- Emergency alarm function
8. Midland X-TALKER T71VP3 – Up to 38 Mile Range Walkie Talkie
The Midland X-Talker T71VP3 is one of those walkie talkies for road trips that let you enjoy to keep connected with your partners.
In open areas like road or mountain top with very little obstruction, you can get a 38-mile range using the 2-way radios. And it connects the radios using a license-free 36FRS/GMRS frequency channels. Just use the scan button and it looks for an activity to connect.
To keep your communication safe and secure without anyone eavesdropping in it, it uses 121 CTCSS privacy codes. That gives you over 2662 channels which makes it impossible for anyone to intervene in the frequency.
Besides that, Midland also offers functions like NOAA weather scan and alert. This one comes handy when you’re outdoors camping as it will update you about the weather and alarm you if the conditions get severe to keep you out of danger. And if it rains, no worries, the radios resists the water.
Then there is the option of voice activation that lets you operate it just using the sound. No need to push and talk when you don’t have the hands-free. Plus, the belt-clips make it easier for you to attach it to the backpack or shirt when you’re on the move to provide you with free hands if needed.
- License-free FRS radio
- 22 radio channels with privacy codes
- Easy button access
- Clear and crisp sound quality
- Offers a great range of 38 miles
- Silent operation to reduce background noise
- Weather scan and alert feature
- eVOX for hands-free operation
9. COBRA ACXT1035R FLT Floating Walkie Talkies
If you’re looking for the best survival walkie talkie then I would tell you to look at the Cobra ACXT1035R.
There is a couple of reason for it being so great for outdoor use. The first thing that comes to mind its compact and durable build. It offers a solid body that’s perfect to take on high drops. Then is the rubber grip on the side, it gives you great grip even in wet conditions. But what truly stands out is the floating and waterproof design. Nothing can break or damage it.
But the robust exterior isn’t all it has to offer. To add to that it has great features like NOAA weather and emergency receiver. It keeps you updated about weather emergencies. Even it sends alerts automatically to your location even if you aren’t connected to the weather channel station. When it suddenly gets dark in the forest, you can use the LED flashlight on it.
Plus, it has all the features you expect from a great device. It gives a great range of 37 miles. You get a vast number of privacy coded channels for secure transmission, voice activation for hands-free operations, sound vibrating alert, SOS alert all that typical stuff.
But what it has that no other device can offer is its patented rewind-say-again feature. What it does is that it automatically records the last 20 seconds of incoming audio. Now, you can replay missed radio calls thanks to it.
- Pack includes two radios, two charging dock, micro-USB cable, rechargeable NiMH batteries.
- Offers 37-mile range with 2662 channel combinations
- NOAA weather channels and emergency alert
- Waterproof floating design
- VOX to provide free hands for other tasks
- VibrAlert for incoming transmission notification
- Rubber grips and built-in LED flashlight
- Rewind-Say-Again feature records last 20 seconds of incoming audio
10. eSynic Rechargeable Walkie Talkies
The eSynic is another of those walkie talkies that doesn’t have the display like your digital walkie talkie of today.
It is a manual device with buttons. Here in this unit, you will get 2-way radios. Both of them have 16 memory channels that use FRS462MHz frequency. The coverage it provides is around 3 miles with no obstructions.
You use the rotating dial on top to change between the channels. Using the 50 CTCSS tones and CDCSS tones, you can program channel frequency to get a clear and secure line of transmission.
Other than that, you get an emergency alarm function and built-in flashlight on the radios. With a single charge, you can get 8-9 hours of continuous use which is impressive. What’s even more impressive than that is that you can charge it two different ways. You can charge the battery on the dock or directly charge the radio.
You can use your mobile USB to charge it too. Therefore, if you can charge it using a power bank too if your battery runs low.
- Uses FRS462MHz frequency.
- Range is 3 miles
- 50 CTCSS / CDCSS privacy coded channels
- Has voice-operated transmission feature
- English Voice Prompt
- Emergency Alarm and battery low alarm
- Power Saving feature
- Built-in LED Flash Light
- Noise Reduction system offers crystal clear sound
Overview of Walkie Talkies
Types of Walkie Talkie
There is a variety of walkie talkie. To be exact three. You got the analog, digital, and hybrid.
- Analog walkie talkie: Communication using the analog one is less clear than digital walkie talkies. That’s why they are rarely used. Not to forget, they are more sensitive to interference. Only the highest quality ones can offer you a more secure line.
- Digital walkie talkie: The digital ones are the most popular option. They are superior for their crystal clear sound quality. But that’s not it. Features like extreme range, noise reduction, NOAA are some of the things that make it stand out from its predecessor.
- Hybrid walkie talkie: As you can guess, it uses the analog or digital option, depending on where you are. So, you will always be connected in one way or another.
Benefits of using a walkie talkie
Why should you use a walkie talkie when there are smartphones? It’s a common question that comes to mind quite often. And it makes sense as you are so used to the cell phone that opting for other alternatives seems strange. However, if you think about it, the walkie talkie offers many advantages:
- No need of subscription; free and ultimate communication
- Talk to one or more people simply and quickly
- Perfect to use for communicating in areas with poor network coverage
- Resistant to water and impacts.
- Communicate more securely
Walkie Talkie Safety Tips
Although the walkie talkie is quite simple and easy to use, there are a couple of safety aspects that you should know about it. Here they are:
- Use a device that uses privacy coded channels for secure communication.
- Don’t turn on the walkie talkie near an explosive atmosphere. It can cause electrical sparks that might catch fire in those conditions.
- Never charge or replace the battery in an explosive atmosphere. It can lead to an explosion by suddenly catching fire.
- Set a pattern to communicate. Determine a channel with the group and a time table for call-in times for communicating. That way you get the line clear to connect at all times and also save battery charge.
Best Long Range Walkie Talkie – Buying Guide
To get your hands on walkie talkies with the longest range, first, you need to know how to pick one. You can use the following buying guide to do that.
There are two types of frequency. Depending on which walkie talkie you buy, the benefits vary.
VHF(very high frequency): These types of radios have bands from 30 MHz to 300 MHz. They have longer wavelength so they cover more distance. But they require that there are not many obstacles between the two devices. Otherwise, it suffers from a lot of interference.
UHF(ultra-high frequency): On the other end, UHF has a band between 300 MHz to 3000 MHz. It has shorter wavelengths that penetrate interference. It is better to use in areas with two many obstacles.
If you are planning a trip using several different cars with friends, choose a long-range two-way radio. That way, you will be able to know at all times where each group is.
But if you’re going to buy the walkie talkie for kids, a small range would suffice.
When you’re going for a trip in the wild, you need to have a walkie talkie that is easy to charge. Now, with a rechargeable power option that can use USB charging, you can use a power bank to charge it.
Then there is the other option of using standard AA or AAA batteries to power the walkie-talkie. Some of the devices use both types of power options. That can also be a great option to look into while buying.
The more channels the better, but that doesn’t mean you should go for a unit that offers more. Because that will cost you more. No doubt, it facilitates communication, but only if you require a high number of channels, only then get it.
A radio with only 22 channels in a busy area won’t do the job. That’s why you need subchannels. These will provide you a unique chat channel on their own.
And having more lanes is always good when you using the device in high traffic areas.
As already mentioned earlier, 22 channels won’t be enough. People can occupy it and you won’t have an open line of communication.
For that, you need privacy codes such as the CTCSS or DCS. These will offer you to give you more open channels to communicate.
But there is a misconception about it that people believe it makes your conversations private. That’s not true. Anyone with the same frequency can listen to it. The codes work to eliminate the interference eliminator not to create a private line of connection.
The voice activation system allows you to transmit without pressing the PTT button. This feature comes handy when the hands aren’t free, and you’re doing other jobs.
There is some walkie talkie that has the alert system that shows in the display or make a sound to let you know you’re out of range.
While camping, tracking, or hiking in the wild, you need a walkie talkie that can take the water splashes. That’s because you never know when it rains in the forest and when you’ve to walk through a water stream. So, having a radio with the waterproof feature is a must. Some even float in water. This type of walkie-talkies are perfect for cruise ship.
Weight and Size
One thing that many get wrong is the size and weight of the walkie talkie. You should always opt for a device that is compact in size that grips well in your hand. Also, lightweight means, you feel no discomfort holding it in your hands for long periods.
Now, some options have a display. And others don’t have one. With the displayed ones, you know what frequency and what setting you’re using more clearly. Therefore, they are easier to operate. However, if you’re a master walkie talkie user, having no display won’t make any difference to you. If you go with a display option, always get a backlit one. That way, you can use it in dark conditions.
Always, opt for a walkie talkie that offers crystal clear sound quality. It shouldn’t pick up any surrounding noise and only pick your sound.
This feature is important for crystal clear sound. If your walkie talkie has this trait, then it will be able to cancel other noises and only transmit your sound—No more interference.
Now, you should look for 2-way radios that come with extra stuff. For instance, try to get charging docks, free earpieces, USB cables, belt clip if possible. But don’t consider it more important than the quality of the device itself. It’s more like a bonus.
For those outdoor adventurers, having the weather alert NOAA feature in their walkie talkie is quite important. This will let you notify about weather conditions. And if some sudden storm or hurricane heads your way, it will alert you in time so that you can move to somewhere safe.
Whatever you buy, it is always crucial to have a budget in the plan. Don’t just go and overspend on a high-quality walkie talkie just the sake for it. Only if you require that kind of gear, then that kind of spending justifies. Otherwise, make a budget and try to stick to it.
It’s better to spend on brands that have proven their worth than getting a walkie talkie from some unknown brand. Not that you shouldn’t, but to be on the safe side go with brands like Cobra, Midland, Motorola that have made their name in the industry by providing quality gears year after year.
How many miles can walkie talkies reach?
Without any obstruction, the walkie talkies can provide a reach of 36-38 miles.
What is the longest range of a walkie talkie?
The Midland X-TALKER T71VP3 has the longest range of 38 miles.
Can Walkie Talkies be traced?
They are traceable, but it is quite hard to do.
Do soldiers use walkie talkies?
Yes, soldiers and most other law-enforcement use walkie talkies.
Do walkie talkies work through walls?
Yes, they do walk through the walls. But you would require a radio that uses UHF frequency.
Can two different walkie talkies communicate?
Yes, different brands walkie talkies using the same frequency can communicate with each other.
Are walkie talkies safe for Health?
Yes, walkie talkies don’t have any harmful signal that might cause you harm.
Why does walkie talkie say not available?
It can say that if there is no one on the frequency or the frequency remains occupied by others.
Does walkie talkie use battery?
Yes, they use the battery. Some use regular AA or AAA batteries, while others use rechargeable batteries.
Even after the invention of smartphones, the best long-range walkie talkies have a lot of value due to its use.
In many crucial sectors like hospitality and security, it provides a fast and fluid communication. Not to forget, it comes handy for your outdoor trips too.
Whatever the use, walkie talkies are still as popular as they were decades ago. And you might want to get on to it too.