Many of us have heard or already used CB radio. It is a radio with a long history, which has not changed for many years, except for SSB.
What is the best SSB CB radio? Why buy SSB CB radio and how does it differ from CB radio without SSB?
CB radio operators ask these and other questions every day. We cannot pass by unanswered questions. That is why we answer all the questions and show real radios that we can claim to be the “best”.
SSB radio is a unique feature, which makes you an advanced user of CB radio.
Do you want to know more about it? Follow me below!
Best SSB CB Radio Reviews
President McKinley USA 40 Channel CB Radio
SSB CB radio is a new generation radio. President McKinley USA CB radio is the perfect example of this. Why?
McKinley has cool features such as Switchable Talkback, Roger Beep, variable RF power control, Noise Blanker, and ANL. It means this CB radio has all the necessary to receive (and transmit) signals of very good quality.
Using this radio, you can understand that this radio is awesome in all. At first, it was easy to tune because of the built-in SWR tuning feature. Secondly, all signals are clear and strong enough while transmitting.
Believe me this is possible to hear and talk with operators 5 or even 6 miles out. After a while, you can see that President McKinley is still going hard at all.
This radio is an example of how many functions are useful. For example, Roger Beep and SWR make a tuning easy, and Squelch Control works even at long distance, and so on.
- 40 channels AM and SSB operate from 12 to 24 V.
- There are Weather bands with alert.
- President McKinley has channels and memory scanning, Dual Watch function, VOX ability, Mic and RF Gain Controls to boost incoming signals.
- There are 3-color large LCD display, volume adjustment, ON/OFF feature.
- The radio has Automatic SWR reading Zero in “Beep” function to tune up it easy.
- Equipped with Mic, mounting bracket, power cord, front mic plug, external loudspeaker jack, as well as a front loudspeaker.
- 3 memories, preset 9 and 19 help you run across your “must hear” channels and emergency channels.
Galaxy-DX-959 40 Channel AM/SSB Mobile CB Radio
It is time to speak about the best Galaxy CB radio with SSB function. Galaxy DX 959 SSB is a radio for serious CB operators.
This radio can make any amateur master. Friendly format of control is the reason. It is easy to use while keeping full attention on the road. Radio control is possible with the help of many buttons.
That is why it minimizes the need to look at the display. You can drive a car and control the radio without making dangerous moments on the track.
Moreover, the time checked the Galaxy DX 959. This radio has been on the market for 15 years. So, we can trust the DX-959 has.
What does it have, by the way? The Galaxy filled this radio with the top feature. It includes Roger Beep, SWR alert, Delta tune, Mic gain and other important functions for simpler long-range SSB operations.
- Variable power output, modulation and SWR scale to make radio tuning easy.
- Five-digit frequency and two-digit channel display with large yellow signs to see all info without straining your eyes and to use in the nighttime.
- There is variable talkback circuit with ON/OFF switch, Automatic SWR circuit (as well as SWR alert), and dimmer control with a push switch.
- Noise Filter, Automatic Noise Limiter, RF Gain will help you to boost the strength of signals.
- It has variable power output control, variable dimmer control with ON/OFF switch, as well as Roger Beep and LED indicator.
- Galaxy DX 959 box includes a handheld mic, radio mounting bracket, mic mounting hardware, and power cord.
Uniden BEARCAT 980 SSB 40- Channel SSB CB Radio
Uniden BEARCAT 980 SSB radio will be a perfect choice for CB operators. Especially if you often drive a car at night.
BEARCAT 980 is suitable for nighttime because of an easy-to-read 7-color digital display and backlit control knobs.
This is an indispensable thing in a long journey. Radio has it all, including activating weather alerts, NOAA that notify you about the weather and inclement conditions.
Uniden BEARCAT 980 will be the best choice even for those who appreciate quality sound.
I am talking about the switch to PA mode feature that helps to use an external speaker. There is also a noise-canceling function, which removes static and background noise.
In my opinion, this is a great kit of functions, which is an addition to talking up to 3x further ability.
- The hi-tech interface includes a 7-color LCD display and backlit control knobs and digital SWR-meter.
- It has 40 AM and SSB channels, Upper and Lower sidebands channels, instant channel 9/19, and activate weather alert.
- This SSB radio has PA capability, SB switch, and noise-canceling mic (additionally to wireless CB speaker mic).
- Signals became stronger because of dynamic Squelch control, RF gain control, mic gain control.
- Allowed for operation at 12 watts.
- It includes channel scanning and a dimmer switch.
Galaxy DX-979 40 Channel AM/SSB Mobile CB Radio
The next SSB radio is Galaxy DX-979. We love this radio because of the mobile size. Imagine it is just 7.25 inches wide. Simultaneously, DX-979 has many hi-tech functions. Therefore, size does matter but not for the number of functions.
The full range of features includes LSB mode, talkback, variable mic, and RF gain to increase an incoming signal. Eyes fatiguing are gone because of the blue backlit display.
There is one feature that makes a difference between Galaxy DX-979 and other mobile radio – it has variable power output.
Using Galaxy DX979, you take strong signals and have a long range, and the ability to tune the radio.
- The radio has a small size and wide about 7.25 inches.
- It has front mic jack to installation and star lite faceplate to see lettering glow in the dark.
- The kit of features includes valuable power output, modulation, SWR and the incoming signal.
- There is a 2-digit channel display with large blue digits to use the radio in the nighttime.
- It has variable talkback circuit with a switch, which simplifies the interface.
- Automatic SWR circuit, an alert, variable dimmer control helps a tuning of the antenna.
- It requires rear connector for accessory Galaxy six-digit frequency counter (purchased separately – not included).
Galaxy DX98VHP 200 Watt 10 Meter Radio with Single Sideband
One more SSB radio by Galaxy is DX98VHP that pushing 200 watts of modulation. This highest output radio fits nighttime using because of blue LED display that shows frequency and channel, and blue meter lamps in the extra-large meter.
There is something new for CB radio operators. Galaxy DX98VHP has an additional output power and two internal quiet temperature controlled fans. It is needed to provide a flow over the enlarged heatsink.
That is not all about the interface. It includes MOD lamp and Star-lite faceplate. As I said above, this is the best for both night and day use.
Using Galaxy DX98VHP, you can control incoming signals by increasing or decreasing it with help of RF Gain Control.
The great power, loads of features makes this radio an indispensable part of your travels.
- There is variable output power (from 10 to 50 watts for AM, pushing over 200 watts).
- It has variable RF Gain Control, built-in voice changer to control received signals.
- Variable Dimmer Control is total adjustable control for faceplate, channel, frequency, and meter displays.
- Included variable Talkback Control that is adjustable talkback level (you can turn it off).
- Equipped by ON/OFF Roger Beep and Automatic SWR Circuit.
- AM/USB/LSB modes are available.
- It has accessories such as Star-lite faceplate, mic jack, microphone, power cord, mounting bracket, and microphone hanger clip.
Galaxy-DX-959 40 Channel AM/SSB Mobile CB Radio with Frequency Counter
Galaxy continues the line of the best SSB CB radios. Now we are talking about Galaxy DX 959 that has a standard kit of functions. It includes easy-to-read meter with scales for power output, SWR, alerts, display, talkback circuit and so on.
You might think: Why should I waste my time if it has loads of standard functions? There is my answer.
It is the ideal radio for those who love radio communication. They can use a Noise filter to reduce noise and boost weak received signals.
DX959 makes signals strong. It is convenient to use both day and night. You can trust the radio that exists for more than 15 years.
- There are a five-digit frequency counter and two-digit channel display with larger yellow digits to keep your eyes focused on the road.
- Variable power output control and talkback circuit with a switch help to control the radio keeping a focus on driving.
- Automatic SWR circuit and Roger Beep help to tune the antenna.
- It has a dimmer control with a switch, display digits, 3-position tone switch for receive signals.
- Power output scale calibrated for AM and SSB.
- DX959’s box includes a handheld microphone, radio mounting bracket, microphone mounting hardware, and power cord.
Mobile AM/SSB CB Radio with Frequency Counter
What else can Galaxy come up with for SSB operators? DX-979F. It is one of the best Galaxy SSB radios, which has a small size and big possibilities.
The most obvious features of this radio are big calibrated meter, front mic jack, and backlit faceplate.
Otherwise, Galaxy DX-979F looks like its “fellows”. I am talking about PA Modes, SWR, StarLite faceplate and other function all SSB radios have.
Do you have to drive a car at night? No problem. Galaxy DX-979F has LED with blue meter lamp.
In addition, this radio has all the necessary functions to make you feel safe. It is about RF gain control, noise blanker and automatic noise limiter to catch any important information due to noise.
- Medium sized chassis with front mic jack allows installation in tight quarters.
- This SSB CB radio has a built-in 5-digit frequency counter, and a 2-digit blue LED channel display.
- There is backlit faceplate to light lettering blue in the nighttime.
- The kit of functions includes power output, modulation percentage, and SWR ratio.
- RF and mic gain control, Automatic Noise limiter circuits, and noise blanker to improve signal quality.
- There is a high SWR alert with warning LED, talkback circuit, and volume control.
- Handheld microphone, radio-mounting bracket, and microphone mounting hardware, power cord are in the box.
Galaxy DX-2547 AM/SSB CB Base Station w/ Freq Counter
The last best SSB CB radio by Galaxy is DX-2547. This radio has a standard 40 channels, and it is quite a powerful radio.
Varieties of functions provide power, and features make the time of using radio unforgettable.
It is easy to control; it has a high sound quality and the ability to amplify weak signals. Using this radio, you can control the radio and keep the focus on driving.
However, Galaxy DX-2547 SSB radio is a good choice for both home and travel use. It is because of power output scale calibrated for AM and SSB, six-digit frequency counter, automatic SWR circuit and other features I will say about below.
- It has 40 Channel AM and SSB that is available on 120 v.
- There is automatic “no calibrate” SWR Meter, mic and RF gain to boost weak incoming and outcoming
- The radio has variable RF output power & talkback controls.
- Switchable Roger Beep, frequency Display helps to tune up the radio.
- It has frequency LEDs, front headphone jack, rear jacks for external speaker, public address, and clarified circuit.
- The box beside the radio includes a handheld microphone, mounting hardware, AC power cord and DC power cord, service manual and operator’s manual.
Overview of SSB CB Radio
What is SSB CB Radio& How Does it Work?
SSB means Single sideband modulation. You can find such a modulation in CB radio and like an additional function in Ham (Amateur) radio.
Single sideband modulation is another way of a radio wave transmission. SSB radio stations will transmit and accept standard channels with AM and FM channels. Why is it useful? SSB gives you more channels for work.
It is not all benefits of SSB. Single sideband modulation requires 12 watts of power. So, CB radio with SSB has an additional output power.
The FCC allows such power for SSB. It is legal in Canada and the USA. Nevertheless, you must be sure your CB radio could work in this power.
And you can find SSB function only on the top-end devices. That is why the function is one two levels – Lower and Upper sidebands. Both sidebands let you communicate with other operators (who has SSB radio too) into one sideband.
What should you do if other operators do not have SSB radio? You need to switch to the main channel for communication with them.
SSB radio uses a “sky-way” propagation for wide connection on the long distance. You should select the correct frequency or, otherwise, it will not work at all.
The signal is transmitted back to Earth dissipated. SSB operators use a distance to find the best frequency for broadcasting because of absorption. It is the main reason why some signal is dissipated. That is why a frequency should be correct.
If you choose a too high frequency, the signal will skip the target mark. And if you choose the low frequency, the signal will not even reach the target. That is why the frequency should be correct in any way.
Let’s look at some numbers to understand how does it work. Imagine that the signal is about 2 MHz, so its first bounce 200 or 400 miles from you. If the signal is about 4 MHz, then 400 – 600 miles from you, if 6 – 600 – 1200 miles and so on.
Plus, it depends on certain solar periods and landscapes. The frequency comes unpredictable when it is higher than 26 MHz.
As I said above, it depends on woods and flat terrain. Imagine that the antenna you use is 3 feet. Speaking about wooded terrain, CB max range (without SSB) will be about 3 km, and SSB CB max range will be about 10 km.
That is why if two jeepers (with SSB) can talk at 10 km distance across woods, forests. Is there a difference? Oh, yeah!
What about flat terrain? CB max range will be about 5 km, and SSB range – 20 km, using the same antenna as in the example above. You can talk with another SSB operator at a distance of 20 km, using SSB.
Features To Look For During Purchase
You can get the opportunity to communicate with other SSB operators at 20 km distance. At first, you need to buy the best SSB radio with great features. I will tell you right now how to do it.
The SSB radio will be the best just if it has the following features:
As I said above, SSB CB radio transmits at 12 watts of output power. For example, CB radio without SSB function transmits at 4 watts maximum.
The distance of transmission will be longer in CB radio equipped by SSB function. I said about it above.
It is a standard feature that reduces static on incoming transmission. Most of SSB CB radios you saw already include this feature.
Squelch Control do not allow an operator to hear static all the time, it activates dynamic when your radio gets incoming transmission.
It is a function that is similar to Squelch Control. It works by blocking faint signals and opting strong signals. “Discrimination” help to get rid of background noise.
Plus, RF Gain is a good feature to hear a weak signal better by rising the strength. What to do with outcoming transmission?
Automatic Noise Limited
It is the best function to make outcoming transmission “clearer” by filtering out background noise like engine, road, city, and static.
Automatic Noise Limited function cleans a signal of any noise to improve the sound quality of transmission.
These functions will be useful for sure due to SSB CB radio transmits a signal at a long distance, which is longer than standard CB radio has. It means that a long distance of transmission has more obstacles that degrade signal quality.
Squelch Control, RF Gain, and ANL is the best combo of function you even could have to boost the strength of signals.
The function of weather alerts will not be superfluous, especially at long distances. The weather can change dramatically at a distance of 20 km.
You have to be ready for anything on a long trip. So protect yourself by having a similar feature on the SSB CB radio you choose.
Emergency Channels (9 and 19)
As in the case of changeable weather, the situation on the road can change dramatically in 1 second. If you do not want to get into an accident, you need to know about what is happening.
The quick transition feature will help you to know the information that two channels broadcast.
This feature comes with the automatic scanning of 40 channels at 100%. You do not need to waste time (and the nervous system) to switch each channel and try to tune. The auto scan will stop on the first channel caught.
Tuning a radio will be much easier than you did it before. This function became irreplaceable because when you use SSB CB radio.
SSB CB radio (as CB radio without SSB feature) should have a mobile size. The best mobile SSB CB radio fits anywhere in your car, truck and so on. Fortunately, size does not depend on multifunctionality.
Probably, SSB CB radio with a huge number of function will be smaller than a CB radio with a couple of options. You can use portable SSB CB radio not just in the car or truck.
You can use it while a motorcycle ride, bike ride, snowmobile ride, in traveling and other different situations, when big radio is inappropriate.
Generally, good SSB CB radio should have the same kit of features as the best CB radio have it.
Using SSB CB radio, you also need a backlit display, NOAA weather updates, instant channel, and channel scanning, built-in SWR meter to measure how effectively the power signal and Delta tune to reduce squeaking effect in another person sound.
Choose SSB CB radio with features that will help you communicate with other truck drivers or amateur drivers. Find the best stops and broadcast information about bad weather.
When choosing SSB radio, give preference to strong and reliable antennas and a wide display with adjustable backlight. It is a “must have” for any driver.
What is the range of a CB radio?
It is impossible to say like “it is about 10 or 20 miles”. The range depends on the efficiency of the antenna in the radiated power and the environment (there are forests, mountains or plains).
Real talk, even SSB CB radio is intended only for short-range communications, because this is not mobile phone you use every day.
The range will be longer on the open road, so you will get longer distance than being in an area with tall trees and buildings. Obstacles like trees and buildings block the signal.
The type of CB radio station does matter. For example, base stations will have a greater range than a mobile and portable radio.
Do you want to get the maximum range? You will get the maximum distance with a good antenna, the right SWR, in an open area without solar activity.
How to tune SSB CB radio?
At first, you need to install a radio and antenna. You need to do it to be sure that the radio was equipped totally.
There is no one way to tune the radio that it could differ from brands. I will show you an average way to tune your SSB CB radio.
First, you have to find an open space that is free by obstacles like trees and building and so on.
Next, you need to join SWR-meter to the radio (skip it if the radio includes built-in SWR-meter). Observe the SWR-meter testimony. And the tuning of SSB CB radio is done.
How to use SSB CB radio?
To begin with, you need to tune the radio. Okay, you already did it. What else?Step 2 is about “law” of the CB radio.
The FCC set a distance limit of 155 miles for the CB. On the other hand, you can use the SSB CB radio to help when other AM CB radios do not work.
Step 3 is about settings for the correct channel. You can set for channel 37 (that is possible just for SSB CB radio) and choose lower or upper sideband from selector switch.
After that, you need to tune the controller until the broadcasting becomes clear.
You can come up with a call sign, such as “Lone Ranger” or something else. You can have any call sign; there are no real rules about that.
Now you know the difference between SSB CB radio and ordinary CB radio, and how to choose the best long-range SSB CB radio. Do you want to get true satisfaction by using CB radio?
Choose the one that has SSB function. Moreover, you always have the opportunity to close SSB and speak with operators without this function.